Learner Driver Insurance FAQs

Here are some of the queries we're most commonly asked. If there is something you would like to know, then take a look through and see if we've answered it here

Young driver with instructor

Got a question? Take a look and see if we’ve answered it here

Who is able to supervise my driving?arrow
For cover to be valid for this policy, the person that supervises your driving must be aged 25 or over, and have held a full UK driving licence for 3 years. It does not have to be the car owner (assuming you have permission from the car owner, of course!)
How do I change the car on my policy?arrow
You can change the car on the policy, provided it still meets the criteria of the policy. You can contact us on 0333 358 3441, during office hours, or log into your account to change the vehicle details. Please note that you can only be insured on one car at any given time.
Can I drive any car with Learner Driver Insurance?arrow
The policy only covers you for driving the car you took your policy out for. But don't worry, you can always take out another policy for any other cars you might wish to drive. And you can even switch to a different car partway through your cover.
What happens when I pass my driving test?arrow
Cover will stop immediately when you pass, so make sure you have someone to drive you home!
If you have purchased a 1 year policy, please advise us on passing your test as you may be entitled to a refund, provided you have not made a claim. This is based on the number of days left of the policy, minus a £50 administration fee. Please read our Terms of Business for full information.
Our Black Box Insurance can help you to get on the road in your own car, or you parents' car in a simple, safe and affordable way - get a quick quote here.
Thinking about buying a car when you pass? It's worth looking at our Cars for Young Drivers which combines a new car and Free Insurance, for the first 12 months, or an insurance contribution! (depending on your postcode)
Is this insurance suitable if I am the main driver of the car?arrow
We're afraid not. This policy only covers you, as the policyholder and a secondary driver, to drive a car that is owned and insured by someone else. If you're looking to insure yourself as the main driver, our Black Box Insurance, will cover you on a provisional licence and the price won't go up when you pass!
My parents are worried it will affect their insurance. Is this dual insurance?arrow
It won't affect the main insurance at all! insuring a learner driver with this policy is a temporary risk policy on the learner driver. Here is the technical bit… Dual Insurance occurs when, in the case of insurance against loss or damage, the same items are insured against a certain risk under more than one insurance policy. Our Learner Driver Insurance provides cover for drivers who hold a provisional UK licence and are not named in the main insurance policy covering the vehicle and therefore it does not cover the same risk as the main policy.
What vehicles can be covered by Learner Driver Insurance?arrow
We'll cover most cars as long as they're in insurance group 32 or less, have a current market value of less than £30,000 and are up to 20 years old.
Can you cover multiple learner drivers on this policy?arrow
Learner Driver Insurance covers a specified driver, to drive a specified car, so we're afraid we can't cover more than one person per policy. However, you can take out separate policies for each learner to drive the same car.
How much does a Learner Driver Insurance policy cost?arrow
It all depends on the length of policy you choose and where you live. Why not get a quick and easy quote here?
What would I need to pay towards a claim?arrow
A £250 excess would be payable towards a claim you make on this policy.
How do I cancel my policy?arrow
If you would like to cancel your policy, please give the team a call on 0333 358 3441. You can find details of our refund policy and cancellation charges on our policy details page. If there has been a loss claim there will be no refund and the full premium is payable.
If you have purchased a 1 year policy, and you cancel after the 14 day cooling off you may be entitled to a refund, provided you have not made a claim. This is based on the number of days left of the policy, minus a £50 administration fee.
Am I insured to take my driving test?arrow
Yes, you are insured to take your test in the car. Be sure to print off and take your insurance certificate with you but do check with the test centre, in case there are additional requirements for taking the test in your own car. As the cover will cease when you pass, make sure you have someone to drive you home from the test!
Who underwrites Marmalade's Learner Driver Insurance?arrow
Our Learner Driver Insurance is underwritten by either Ageas Insurance or Markerstudy Insurance Services. Details of your insurer are shown on your policy documentation.
What age range does Learner Driver Insurance cover?arrow
Our Learner Driver Insurance provides cover for provisional licence holders up to the age of 34.
How do I know if I need to notify a medical condition to the DVLA?arrow
Essentially, if you have a medical condition that may affect your driving, you will need to advise the DVLA. The DVLA website contains details on the medical conditions that should be notified, and how to notify them.
How do I receive my policy documents?arrow
One you've purchased your policy you will receive an email with a link to log in and view your policy documents. If you prefer, you can request paper copies of these documents at any time during the policy term, by emailing [email protected]. No charge will be made for this.

We’re here to help

Speak to a member of our friendly Learner Driver team


Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot logo
First car award 2019 winner logo
best customer engagement 2019
BIBA scheme provider logo