Student driver faqs

Here are some of the queries we're most commonly asked. If there is something you would like to know, then take a look through and see if we've answered it here.

How does it work? Plus Icon

The policy is designed to sit alongside the existing motor policy of the car you'll be driving and provides fully comprehensive cover while you're driving in that car.

If a claim needs to be made while you're driving, it will be made on your own policy and won't affect the No Claims Bonus of the car owner (which we're sure they'll be very happy to hear).

My parents are worried about how it will affect their policy? Is it dual insurance? Plus Icon

It won’t affect the main insurance at all! Marmalade student driver insurance is a temporary risk policy for you. Here is the technical bit…Dual Insurance occurs when, in the case of insurance against loss or damage, the same items are insured against a certain risk under more than one insurance policy. Cover is only provided under the Marmalade Student Driver Insurance Scheme for drivers who hold a full UK licence and are not named in the main insurance policy covering the vehicle and therefore it does not cover the same risk as the main policy.

I'm a student at school. Am I able to take out a Student Driver Insurance policy? Plus Icon

Our Student Driver Insurance is designed to cover university students who are living away from home and return for short periods in the holidays. As such, we will also cover students who live away at boarding school. If this is the case, you will need to use you .sch email address to take the policy out.

What type of cars can be covered by Student Driver Insurance? Plus Icon

We'll cover cars as long as they're up to insurance group 32 and have a current market value up to £30,000.

Can I drive any car? Plus Icon

The policy only covers you for driving the car you took your policy out for. But don't worry, you can always take out another policy for any other cars you might wish to drive.

Can more than one student driver be insured on the same car? Plus Icon

The policy only covers you as the named driver, but another student driver can take out their own policy to practise in the same car.

Can I change the car I am insured to drive on? Plus Icon

As it is a short term policy, you cannot make a change to the vehicle you are insured to drive.

How much does a Student Driver Insurance policy cost? Plus Icon

It all depends on the length of policy you choose and where you live. Why not get a quick and easy quote here?

Can I be insured on a car I own myself? Plus Icon

No not with this policy. The policy is designed to sit alongside an existing motor policy of a car owned by someone else. Take a look at our New Driver Insurance, which is designed to cover you to drive your own car!

What is the excess if I need to make a claim? Plus Icon

If there is an accident, or the car has a fire or is stolen whilst you're driving, you'll need to pay a compulsory excess of £500.

Standard Compulsory Excess £500

Do I get a refund if I cancel my policy? Plus Icon

We're afraid not, as it is just a short term policy.

Who provides the insurance cover? Plus Icon

Our Student Driver Insurance is underwritten by either Ageas Insurance or Markerstudy Insurance Services. Details of your insurer are shown on your policy documentation.

What is IPT? Plus Icon

IPT stands for Insurance Premium Tax. This is a tax that must be added to General Insurance premiums in the UK. All insurance quotes on our website are inclusive of IPT at the current rate set by the Government.

The current rate of IPT is 12%.

Policies purchased prior to the Government changes on 1st June 2017 had the previous rate applied at purchase. Any mid-term changes that have incur a further charge, that take effect after this date will be charged at the new increased rate.

How do I know if I need to notify a medical condition to the DVLA? Plus Icon

Essentially, if you have a medical condition that may affect your driving, you will need to advise the DVLA. The DVLA website contains details on the medical conditions that should be notified, and how to notify them.

If you have advised the DVLA of your condition and they have granted your licence, you can be covered on our Student Driver Insurance policy. However, we are unable to provide cover if you have not told the DVLA about a condition that should be notified to them, as this invalidates your licence.