Call us on 0333 358 3441


Learner Driver Insurance is a flexible policy that helps you practise driving in a friend's or family car without affecting their No Claims Discount

Customer testimonial
round tick

This cover is suitable for:

bullet pointtick
Provisional licence holders aged 17-34
bullet pointtick
Insuring a learner driver on a parent’s, friend’s, or family car
bullet pointtick
Learner drivers practising for their driving test
round cross

This cover is not for you if:

bullet pointclose icon
You're learning to drive in a van or commercial vehicle

Increase your chance of passing with provisional insurance

The DVSA recommends learner drivers get as much private practice alongside lessons as possible, especially since learners are taking around six months or more to pass their test. Learner Driver Insurance is a flexible short-term cover that helps you practise driving in a friend's or family car without affecting their No Claims Discount.

  • 9 out of 10 parents found it cheaper than added a provisional licence holder as a named driver to their own insurance
  • 74% of people who passed their driving test on the first attempt practised driving outside lessons
  • Learners could get as much practice as they like from less than £11 per week by choosing a 180-day policy (18% of customers would be eligible for this price based on sales data January - May 2022)

What’s more, insuring a learner driver on a parent’s car or friend’s car gives peace of mind to the car owner as well as the learner:

  • Cover is comprehensive with a low excess of £250
  • There’s no risk to the car owner’s No Claims Bonus
  • This provisional car insurance covers them for the driving test

Forget sitting on the phone to your insurer, it takes minutes to get a quote online and arrange cover to get on the road straight away.

Looking for something more specific?

We're not the UKs best known insurance provider dedicated to young drivers² by chance…

Marmalade exists to help young drivers get on the road. Since 2006 we’ve been committed to doing all we can to make it easier and more affordable for people to learn how to drive, and pass their test. (A big part of that is considering the needs of parents of learner drivers too!) That’s why, according to YouGov, we’re the UK’s best-known insurance provider dedicated to young drivers²:

  • Our learner insurance is comprehensive, and there’s no risk to the car owner’s No Claims Discount in the event the learner driver makes a claim
  • We offer a range of cover lengths from 30 to 240 days, with prices starting from £1.30 per day based on purchasing a 240 day policy (18% of customers would be eligible for this price based on sales data January - May 2022)
  • Once you’ve held a learner insurance policy you can get a whole host of discounts and savings - including 10% off any of our car-sharing products, and 5% off insurance on your own car!

Common questions about learner insurance

What is learner driver insurance? arrow
Once you have your provisional licence, learner driver insurance (otherwise known as provisional insurance) is insurance that covers a learner driver whilst they're practising in a friend’s, or a family member's car. Getting added to their insurance can be expensive, and if you have an incident it can affect their No Claims Discount. There are a few rules and stipulations around where you can drive and who with, which is why we put together our complete guide to learner driver insurance. If you've got more questions about how it works, we're pretty sure you'll find the answer over there.
How does learner driver insurance work?arrow
Learner Driver Insurance sits alongside the main insurance providing comprehensive cover for the learner driver when they are behind the wheel. It's really quick and easy to set up - simply enter your details to get a quote, choose your terms from 30 days to 240 days, and pay online. You can be free to hit the road within a few minutes!
Who can supervise a learner and how old must they be?arrow
Any driver who is over 25, who currently holds a current valid full UK driving licence, and has done for at least three years, can supervise you. It doesn't even need to be the person who owns the car. Of course, you'll need the permission of whoever owns the car - we're sure you knew that anyway!
Before you head out practising, why not read our guide to make sure you get the most out of private practice.
Can more than one learner driver be insured on the same car?arrow
This learner driver car insurance only covers the learner driver named on the policy. However, if there is more than one learner driver to insure each driver can have their own policy and practise in the same car.
Does temporary learner driver insurance cover you after you’ve passed your test?arrow
This policy is designed specifically for learner drivers, so cover will cease as soon as you pass your driving test. So, if you do take the test in the insured car - make sure you arrange a lift home from the test centre.
Your journey with Marmalade doesn’t have to end - discover the options with our insurance finder tool.
How much is the policy excess?arrow
You will need to pay the first £250 towards the claim if there is a fire, the car is stolen or you have an accident whilst you're driving.
What length of learner insurance policy should I choose?arrow
This will really depend on how far into your learning journey you are. If you’re at the start and haven’t yet booked your test, we’d recommend a 180 day policy as it’s likely to take you between 6 and 8 months to pass your test. If you have your test booked, it makes sense to choose a policy length that takes you near to the big day! The great news is that you can choose learner insurance for between 30 and 240 days – with the option to extend the policy by as little as 7 or 14 days until you pass. If you’re ready to go, it’s quick and easy to get a quote for your policy length and you could be on the road in minutes!
How much is learner driver insurance?arrow
It starts from £69.99 a month and of course, depends on the length of your chosen policy and where you live. Get a quick and easy quote here.
Is learner driver insurance the same as dual insurance?arrow
No, it’s not the same. Dual insurance would be two insurance policies covering the same risk on the policy i.e. two insurance policies specifically insuring the same car. Learner driver insurance is insuring the learner as the risk when they are behind the wheel of the car. Learner driver insurance is separate from the owner’s insurance, which means that a claim made by the learner on their own policy won’t affect the car owner’s insurance.
Will I be covered to take my driving test with learner insurance?arrow
Yes. You will need to take your insurance policy documents with you and ensure the car meets certain requirements set by the government. We’ve summarised the main points here but we advise you to read the full requirements in our advice on taking the driving test in your own car. - It must be taxed - The car must be roadworthy (with a current MOT for cars over 3 years old) - There can’t be any warning lights showing - There can’t be any tyre damage or space-saver tyre fitted - You must fit L plates to the front and rear of the car and an extra interior rear-view mirror for the examiner. The cover ceases immediately after the test has been passed, so make sure you call us to let us know the good news, organise a lift home and make sure you have a new policy arranged to make sure you are covered.
Does learner insurance cover a driving test in my own car?arrow
Our short-term learner insurance policy will cover you to take your driving test in a family car or friend's car as it's designed to sit alongside an existing motor policy of a car owned by someone else. The policy ceases once you pass so call us with your good news and ensure you have a lift arranged or have another policy in place. If you’re looking for car insurance for a driving test on your own car - we can cover you with our Black Box Insurance! It is designed to cover a young driver in their own car before and after they pass with no increase in price on passing! If you're not quite decided yet what type of insurance you need, we have a handy guide to help you compare insurance options for learner drivers.
Is it compulsory to take out learner driver insurance?arrow
If you’re getting behind the wheel for private practice, it is a legal requirement to have insurance in place. If you are only taking lessons with a professional driving school or driving instructor in their car, the insurance is generally included in the cost.
Can I put a learner driver on my insurance?arrow
You may well be able to, it all depends on your current policy as some insurers won’t allow it. For those that do it can be expensive and could affect your No Claims Discount should they have a bump. Get a quick quote for our learner driver insurance; it won’t affect your No Claims Bonus as it sits beside your existing policy.
Will it affect the owner’s No Claims Discount if I claim?arrow
It won’t affect the car owner’s No Claims Bonus as it’s a separate policy for the learner only, so the car owner doesn’t need to declare a claim made by the learner to their insurer. Obviously, if the learner makes a claim they will need to declare it when they take out their next policy.
Do you offer one day car insurance?arrow
A lot of people look for 1 day car insurance but at Marmalade we don’t think that’s the best approach. You need regular practice over a few weeks to see any benefit, which is why our learner insurance starts at 30 days and can be renewed for 7 or 14 days.
How can I extend my policy?arrow
You can enjoy learner driver insurance for as long as you are learning to drive. We'll send you reminders before your policy expires. As your details are saved with us it's super easy to get you covered! Simply log in, check your details, choose your policy length, pay and you're sorted!
Why can't you provide cover for me?arrow
If you completed a quick quote, which declines because of your age or postcode, there will be no quote to retrieve to enable us to determine the reason. However, If you completed a full quote we will be able to determine the reason. Double-check the details entered to see if they’re entered correctly on the form. If you’d like us to look into this in more detail, please call us on 0333 358 3441 and we should be able to view the quote and let you know the reason.
Can I use Learner Driver Insurance to drive abroad?arrow
Marmalade learner insurance provides cover to drive in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.
How can I contact Marmalade?arrow
There are lots of ways to get in touch with the team - by phone, live chat, social media and email. Live chat is a great place to start - simply click on the speech bubble at the bottom right of this page. If you need to speak to a member of the team, you can contact us on 0333 358 3441, during working hours. Please bear with us at the moment as call times may be slightly longer than normal due to covid related staff absence. You can find out our opening hours and read more about how to get in touch on our contact us page.
Does learner insurance show on askMID?arrow
Yes, it does, and will take about a week for it to show. If you are using a family member or friend’s car, please check that their annual policy is on there to ensure you remain covered.
Does learner insurance count towards your No Claims Discount?arrow
As this is a short-term policy, you won’t start building your No Claims discount just yet. If this is important, why not check out our Named Young Driver Insurance which is an annual policy in the young driver’s own name and they can start earning their own No Claims Discount.
The great news is that it offers seamless cover from learner to full licence with no price increase on passing the driving test!
What is the minimum age to supervise a learner driver?arrow
With our policies, any driver who is over 25 and currently holds a current valid full UK driving licence and has done for at least three years, can supervise you. It doesn't even need to be the person who owns the car. Of course, you'll need the permission of whoever owns the car - we're sure you knew that anyway! Just make sure they are qualified to drive the vehicle you are using because if their licence is for automatic vehicles they can’t supervise you in a manual car. Before you head out practising, check out our guide to make sure you get the most out of private practice.
How do I insure a learner driver on my own car?arrow
If you're looking to insure a learner driver on your car there are two options. They can take out a standalone policy that covers them when they are behind the wheel until they pass their test, like our learner driver insurance, or you can speak to your insurance company about adding a named driver. Get a quote and join over 4000 learners who opt for our short-term learner insurance every month as it's quick and easy to arrange and there's no risk to the car owner's No Claims Discount if the learner needs to make a claim.

What's covered by our Learner Driver Insurance policy?

Legal liability


Damage to the car owner’s vehicle


Personal accident up to £2,500


Medical expenses up to £250


Personal belongings up to £100


Why choose Marmalade’s provisional insurance?

If you're learning to drive, or you're a parent of a learner driver, you can be assured you're in good hands with Marmalade!
  • Our customers rate us “Excellent” on the independent review site, Trustpilot
  • We’re the UK’s leading name in young driver insurance†
  • We’re endorsed by the British Insurance Brokers Association as the Official Scheme Provider for Young Drivers
  • Our learner insurance is underwritten by Ageas, one of the UK’s largest insurers.
Happy girl holding L plates
Mother and daughter with car keys

Looking to insure your own car?

Black Box car insurance for learners will cover on a provisional licence and after you pass your test - with no price increase when you do!

Torn L plate

Looking for annual learner Insurance?

Share your parents' car while you're learning and after you pass your driving test - with no risk to their No Claims Discount!

Need L Plates?

Don't forget L-Plates?

Did you know that Marmalade also sell L-plates? Head over to our Amazon store to buy yours today.

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot logo
Customer Service Excellence Awards
BIBA scheme provider logo
First car award 2019 winner logo