Driving can give us all a great sense of freedom and independence, but it doesn’t come without its dangers, which can often lead to worry and stress behind the wheel. Don’t worry – you’re not alone in feeling like this, in fact, 71% of UK drivers have lost concentration on the road due to stress or annoyance .
So what can we do about it? Well, as much as we’d love this blog to magically fix all of the worries you’re having about driving – it probably won’t. What we can do, however, is discuss the things we are finding stressful when driving and give you our best tips on how to tackle them!
Stressful events when driving
Being stuck in traffic
- Listen to something you can sing along to
- Open the windows and get some fresh air
- Keep your arms, shoulders and body relaxed
Check out our tips on driving in rush hour to help you deal with this tricky time behind the wheel.
- Take a Pass Plus course to get help from an instructor
- Ask a parent to accompany you
- Plan your route and know your exits
- Take your time, and only head on the motorway when you’re ready
With the introduction of learners on the motorway, only time will tell if this helps with confidence on the big roads for new drivers. If you’re a learner and you want to know how a motorway driving lesson will work – we’ve got the insight from driving instructors.
Driving on unknown roads
- Check the route on Google Maps before you go
- Plan service station stops
- Share the driving if you can
- Listen to calming music
Back seat drivers
We’ve looked at the different annoying habits our passengers can have, but also how to help you as the driver, to keep calm when you’re driving.
If you’re finding the stress and anxiety of driving too much to handle, then, of course, public transport, car sharing and cycling are great alternatives. However, you’ve worked super hard to pass your test so it’s likely you don’t want to let your worries stand in the way. Following these tips can help with the nerves behind the wheel but if you find the stress too much – please consult a doctor.